Below you’ll find information about what common error codes mean, and what you can do to resolve them for your Virta Glucose and Ketone Meter.
Common errors include:
- E11 or Battery Drain
- Meter Not Reading Strips
E11 or Battery Drain
- The E11 error indicates that there is a problem with the batteries. The issue could be coming from the battery connection, the type of batteries being used in the meter, low batteries or an issue with the strip connection. Please use the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the E11 error.
- Make sure the battery connection into the battery terminal is secure. The batteries should click into place and fit snug.
- Clean out any foreign debris from the battery terminal.
- Ensure the date and time are set correctly on your meter.
- Ensure the strip is pressed firmly into the meter and the connection is secure.
- Ensure that your meter is not being turned on while stored in the meter case. The "ON" button on the meter is easily pushed when it is pressed up against supplies or anything that may be stored in your meter case. To prevent the meter from turning on while closed in your case, please remove any bulky items in your meter case that may be pressing the "ON" button on your meter when the case is closed.
- Replace the batteries with non-rechargeable, generic-branded batteries. Below is a list of batteries that we have found to work best in the meter:
- Mitsubishi Electric Alkaline
- Fujitsu Universal Alkaline
- Amazon Basics
- Philips Power Alkaline
- ACDelco UltraMAX
- Walmart Generic Alkaline
- Do NOT use brand name batteries (like Duracell or Energizer) or rechargeable batteries.
- If you are experiencing this error with the meter right out of the box, the meter may have been turning on inside the box before it reached you. If the steps above do not resolve your issue, please reach out to our support team here for further assistance.
Meter Not Reading Strips
- If your meter is not reading the strips when you insert them into the meter with a firm, secure connection, you may have a bad batch of glucose or ketone strips. Please consider the following:
- Does the screen of your meter show any error codes? If so, please see the information below for further troubleshooting help.
- Do you have a different box of strips to test if the batch of strips you're using is bad?
- If you feel you have a bad batch of strips, please provide the Lot Number on your strip packaging to our support team with details of what is going on. We will be happy to further assist!
- The E2 error indicates that blood is put on the strip before the strip is inserted into the meter. Please see the instructions on how to test and prevent the E2 error below.
- With the meter off, put a clean strip in the meter.
- Wait until you hear a beep and see the droplet flashing at the right of the meter screen above the image of the strip before any blood comes near the strip.
- Hold the meter (with the clean strip in it) like a pencil: downward at a 45-degree angle. Bring the tip of the strip gently down to the blood sample and, just breaking the surface of the blood bubble, let the meter sip up the blood until it beeps and starts to count down. Don't press too firmly into the finger, as this does not allow the strip to sip up the blood -- it needs air, like a straw.
- Don't pull away from the droplet before the meter starts to count down.
- If the above steps do not solve your issue, please send a message to our support team with details of what is going on. We will be happy to further assist!
ERROR CODES FOR VIRTA GLUCOSE AND KETONE METER
|WHAT YOU SEE||WHAT IT MEANS||WHAT YOU SHOULD DO|
|E1||Blood or control solution was added before the flashing blood drop appeared.||Discard the test strip and repeat the test with a new test strip. Wait until you see the flashing blood drop on the display before testing.|
|E2||The meter is sensing a used or contaminated test strip.||Discard the test strip and repeat the test with a new test strip. Ensure that you are placing the strip into the meter before applying blood.|
|E3||Incorrect test strip.||Discard the test strip and repeat the test with a new test strip. Make sure that you are using a Virta Glucose or Ketone test strip.|
|E4||Incorrect sample.||Discard the test strip and repeat the test with a new test strip. Make sure that you are using a Virta Glucose or Ketone test strip.|
|E5||Temperature out of range.||Move to an area that is within the operating range for the meter (41-86 degress F). Let the meter adjust to this temperature for 20 minutes before using.|
|Potential hardware issue.||Take the batteries out and restart the meter. If the problem continues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|E10||Insufficient sample.||Discard the test strip, repeat the test with a new test strip and apply enough sample to fill check window on the strip.|
|E11||Low battery indicator.||Replace the batteries with non-rechargeable, generic-branded batteries and ensure the date/time/year settings are correct. (see above for more details on this error).|
|HI||Blood glucose test result is above 600 mg/dL; blood ketone test result is above 8.0 mmol/L.||Wash and dry your hands or test site and repeat the test using a new test strip. If your result still flashes HI, contact your health coach immediately.|
|LO||Blood glucose test result is below 20 mg/dL; blood ketone test result is below 0.1 mmol/L.||Wash and dry your hands or test site and repeat the test using a new test strip. If your result still flashes LO, contact your health coach immediately.|
- If the ketone warning is set ON, and your blood glucose reading exceeds 300 mg/dL (16.6 mmol/L), the meter will display “KETONES” on your screen prompting you to check your ketones to check for diabetic ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is a serious complication of diabetes that occurs when your body produces high levels of ketones in the presence of high glucose levels.
- Please consult your health coach for further evaluation if you receive this warning and your ketones measure >5.0 mmol/L. If you believe you received this warning in error please retest and if it persists, contact email@example.com.
- To turn the ketone warning on:
- Start with your meter off then press and hold the power button for more than 2 seconds until it beeps. That will put your meter in the set up mode.
- Toggle through the setting until you see Ketones? on the screen.
- The default in ON, press the power button to set.
- To turn the ketone warning off, push the side button up or down to get OFF and press the power button.