The information below will help you set up the Virta Glucose and Ketone Meter. For help with taking accurate measurements with your meter, please visit our article "How to Test”.
For help setting up Bluetooth, please see "Enabling Bluetooth Functionality."
This article covers:
- Getting started: Step-by-step instructions
- Setup FAQ
- Reviewing meter memory
- Storing your meter
Getting Started: Step-by-step instructions
Watch this video for quick-start instructions for setting up your meter
- Your meter comes with batteries installed.
- Please note that you do not need to use the control solution to calibrate the meter before first use. The control solution should only be used when you are having an issue with your meter.
Set the Date and Time
The best way to set the date and time on your meter is to sync via Bluetooth to the Virta app. The time from your device will automatically set the date and time on your meter. For help setting up Bluetooth, please see "Enabling Bluetooth Functionality."
To manually set the date and time, please see the instructions below.
- Start with the meter off (with no test strip inserted).
- Press and hold the Main power button (middle button on the front of the meter) for more than 2 seconds until the meter beeps. The meter is now in set-up mode and will prompt you for the clock format.
- Clock format: you have two options for time format—12h or 24h. Press the buttons on the left side of the meter up or down to adjust and set the clock for 12 or 24 hour mode, then press the main power button twice to save your choice.
If you choose the 12h option, you will see "am" or "pm" at the end of the time. To select am/pm, continue scrolling through the options until you see your correct time with "am" or "pm" at the end.
- Most of our members select a 12h format so that you can easily decipher am from pm readings.
- Date: it’s critical that your meter is set to the correct date. If your meter is not in the current year, you will receive errors and waste test strips. The year will now flash on the display. Press the buttons on the left side of the meter to adjust the year up or down until the year setting is accurate, then press the power button twice and it will prompt you for the month.
- Month will now flash. To advance the month, press the buttons on the side of the meter until the correct month appears. Press the Main power button twice to set the month.
- Day will now flash. Press the side buttons up or down to advance to the correct day. Press the Main power button twice to set the day.
- Time: the hour will be flashing. Press the side buttons up or down to adjust the hour, then press the Main power button twice to set the hour.
- Minute will now flash. Press the side button up or down to adjust the minute, then press the Main power button twice to set the minute.
Set the Audio feature and Test Alarms
Virta recommends turning off all of the alarm and audio settings on your meter for the best user experience. Our Virta App has the necessary measures in place to account for the settings options below. Use the settings below at your own convenience.
- Audio: after you set the minute, the meter will display “beep” in the upper right corner. Use the buttons on the left to toggle between “On” or “Off”, then press the Main power button twice to set. If you do not want your meter to make noise, turn this setting OFF.
- Test Alarms: the next settings are for the Test Alarms. You can set up to 5 alarms per day (A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5) if you want to test at the same time each day for a better comparison of readings. If you turn alarms On, your meter is pre-set with the following times for your convenience but you can adjust each time to suit your needs: A1 7:00 am; A2 9:00 am; A3 2:00 pm; A4 6:00 pm; A5 10:00 pm.
- Setting the Test Alarms: after you set the audio, you will see A1 displayed in the upper left corner and “Off” displayed below. Use the buttons on the side of the meter to toggle between “On” or “Off” for A1, then press the Main power button to set.
- If you set A1 to “Off”, you will be prompted to set A2 and you can continue to use the side buttons to turn “On” or “Off”, pressing the power button twice to set each one.
- If you select “On”, the hour flashes. “A1” will remain on the display. Press the side button to select the hour and press the power button twice to set.
When the minute starts flashes, press the side button to select 00, 15, 30, or 45. These are the only choices. Press the power button twice to set.
- Continue to set other alarms or set alarms to “Off”.
- Note: If the meter is on at the time the test reminder is set, the test alarm will not get activated.
Virta recommends using the Virta App to enter meal marker details versus relying on the meter settings for the best user experience. Use the features below at your own convenience.
- Meal Markers: after setting the test alarm functions, the symbols of an apple and an apple core will begin flashing, along with the word “On.” This allows you to tag your reading for Before or After a meal. Press the side buttons to turn the meal marker function on or off, then press the power button twice to set.
- Hypoglycemia (Hypo) warning: after setting the meal marker, you can set the hypo alarm, which indicates a possible hypoglycemic condition (or low blood sugar level). “Hypo” will be flashing on the display along with “On.” Press the side button to turn the Hypo alarm function On or Off and press the power button twice to set.
- If you select the hypo alarm “On,” the display shows 70 mg/dL with the symbol of “GLU” on the display. Press the power button to set or adjust the glucose level up or down with the buttons on the side of the meter. Press the power button twice again to set.
- Ketone Warning: after the hypo warning setting has been completed, the word, “Ketone” will flash on the display, along with the word “On.” Press the side buttons to turn the Ketone Warning on or off, and press the power button twice to set.
- If you turn Ketone Warning on, the symbol will appear with the other symbols that you have set before. After setting the Ketone Warning, the screen will show all symbols which you have set before. Press the power button and the meter will be turned off.
Settings can ONLY be changed while the meter is in the setting mode. To change settings, press and hold the power button when the meter is powered off and then return to the beginning of the setting series as described above.
Do I need batteries?
- Your meter comes with two AAA batteries installed. If your meter arrives with dead batteries in it, please reach out to our support team for assistance here.
- The meter works best with non-rechargeable, generic brand batteries.
- If you are experiencing E11 errors or other battery issues, please check the battery terminal to ensure the connection is secure.
How do I connect my meter with the Virta App?
- Your Virta Meter has Bluetooth functionality to help you record glucose and ketone readings seamlessly. Once you connect it to your app, you shouldn’t need to do it again! Visit our Enabling Bluetooth Functionality article for step-by-step instructions to pair your meter with the Virta app.
When should I use the control solution?
- Please note that you do not need to use the control solution to calibrate the meter before first use. The control solution should only be used when you are having an issue with your meter. Please visit our support article titled, "How and When to Use Control Solution" for further assistance.
What do I do if my meter is not functioning correctly?
- If your meter is not functioning correctly, please visit our Error Codes article to troubleshoot any on screen issues you may be experiencing or reach out to our support team for assistance.
What do I do if I lost my meter?
- Please submit a support request and we'll be happy to assist you with next steps to resolve this issue.
How to View your Meter Memory
- Hold down the button on the front of your meter to turn it on.
- Once you see the clear screen, press the button twice to bring up your past readings.
- Use the bottom button on the left side of the meter to scroll through your readings. You'll notice the date and times are changing as you do so, reflecting when the reading was stored.
- You will see "GLU" displayed for any glucose readings and "KET" for ketone readings.
- You will also see the letters "MEM" on the meter screen to indicate that you are scrolling through the meter's memory.
- Once you get to the end of your readings, you will see the word "END" on the screen.
- You can press and hold the middle button on your meter to turn it off.
- Please note: control solution test results are not stored in meter memory.
How to Store your Meter
- The meter comes with a carrying case for all of your essential supplies.
- The pouches in the meter case allow you to store your supplies you’ll use for taking readings. You can easily store your control solution and canisters of strips for both ketones and glucose.
- Make sure to store your strip canisters on the opposite side as your meter and lancing device, otherwise the case will not close all the way.
- It’s important that the button on the meter is in the middle of the case, so that when you close the case, nothing is pressing against the button, causing the meter to turn on and drain the battery. You can ensure this by putting the Virta logo toward the edge of your case.